Thursday, November 29, 2012

Whistler Film Festival Day 1

I arrived in Whistler yesterday at 1PM. Checked in at the Volunteer room and got my Capilano Film T-shirt. I checked in at the Tantalus Lodge grabbed my bed and got ready to start my first volunteer shift. I ended up going on an hour long errand in Function with one of the staff to fix a picture frame. We successfully put it back together with crazy glue and plexiglass. It was still on the wall when I left tonight. After that I greeting pass holders and directed them to accreditation. Grabbed some sushi for dinner  before I had to do head count for the Opening Reception and Gala. At around 8PM a few of us Cap grads went out for a drink and then headed to the 11PM screening of American Mary.

American Mary is a about a surgical student who needs to pay off her student loans and instead of becoming a stripper she ends up stitching a guy up for $5000. Word gets out that she is a good surgeon and the next thing she does is remove the bits from a woman who wants to be Barbie. And that is just the beginning of the film. American Mary is a blend of body modification, revenge and a psycho main character played by Katherine Isabelle (Ginger from Ginger Snaps). The cinematography was beautiful and I really enjoyed the use of classical music instead of the typical horror scores. However there were a few story holes and hums but for a niche genre it did the trick.

A good start to the festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment