Monday, December 3, 2012

Rust and Bone Review


I have heard nothing but good things about this film so I decided to finally watch it. The film stars Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts, as Stephanie and Ali. It's the story of two people who are lonely; a father who decides to move in with his sister to take care of his 5 year old son and a killer whale trainer who was in an accident at work and lost both her legs. The film is based on the short stories from the book "Rust and Bone" by Canadian author Craig Davidson. The cinematography is just beautiful. There are moments in the film where there are no sound at all, which makes the viewer pay close attention to the images. The performances are amazing in this film. Marion Cotillard's is able to show her character's pain without saying a word and that is real acting. There were also little hints to both Stephanie and Ali's physical pain in the first act which I thought was a nice touch. I also enjoyed the similarities to the killer whale and Ali's animal strength in which Stephanie was attracted to. And Ali's "Rocky" scene was done in a very understated way which I enjoyed. The ending was well done and made me think about Ali's character and his consequences.

I'm pretty sure this film will be up for awards and rightly so, it was a beautifully done.

No comments:

Post a Comment