Friday, October 19, 2012

New FALL shows in review part 6


Emily Owens, M.D. 9PM The CW 
This is a bit Grey's Anatomy but with more Bridget Jonse-y voiceovers from Mamie Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter) who plays Emily. Emily Owens is an intern at a big hospital and is realizing that she never left high school. In fact her high school bully is there to greet her on her first day. Emily is a competent doctor who even has feelings, which is where her new boss (Emily's idol) doesn't. I thought this was an average show not something we haven't seen before but I couldn't handle all of the internal voice overs from Emily, it was a bit much. It's on a perfect network for a light and fluffy show.  NO for me but if there is nothing on i can see myself watching.

World Without End, 9PM Reelz
King Edward II is dead and his son Edward III has now been made King of England. Based on the book by Ken Follett and the sequel to The Pillars of the Earth. I'm not a big fan of this genre and time period, nor was I a fan of The Pillars of the Earth. NO for me.

Hunted BBC & Cinemax

A UK version of Covert Affairs but more gritty, cinematic and less political. We start in the middle of a spy operation with Sam a spy who works for a private sector spy ring, played by the talented Melissa George. Sam is eventually shot at a little cafe, cut to a year later, Sam is back training at her childhood home on the English countryside. She now has to try to figure out how she got shot? Who sent out the kill? Sam moves into an apartment in the city and asks for her job back. The flashbacks of her mother being killed not sure where it's going yet. I like the false scenes they create to convince their targets. For most of the pilot there is no dialogue, there's something I really like about that in all films, which is probably why I like silent films. Because I love spy shows and the British really did make great spy films, and Melissa George is pretty talented this is a YES for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment